For those interested in joining First Reformed, we encourage you to “kick the tires.” Spend time getting to know our church family, attend our services, visit a parish group or bible study, speak with one of our elders or pastors, ask lots of questions, and take a new members course.
We do not require that you agree with every jot of reformed theology or tittle of presbyterian polity, but we do ask you to support the worship, work, and leadership of the church. The most important factor in joining First Reformed is that you publically profess your faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and are willing to take the following five vows.
Vows of Church Membership
1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?